Buitoni apologizes for gift voucher given to affected family

The family of a little girl contaminated with E. coli bacteria after eating a Buitoni pizza received a 20-euro voucher for this Nestlé brand, which its officials acknowledged on Monday by pleading the error.

“This should not have been done and we sincerely apologize to this consumer who may have been offended by the receipt of these vouchers,” a Buitoni spokesperson said. “We are going to make sure this doesn’t happen again,” he added.

Residing in Vienne, this mother of a seven-year-old girl reported having received this voucher by e-mail on Friday, confirming information from The voice of the North.

“For them, my daughter’s pain is worth 20 euros”

She had received a call from Buitoni’s consumer service the day before. The child was hospitalized for two days in mid-March for pyelonephritis and “close to sepsis”, according to his mother.

“It’s an additional pain (…) For them, my daughter’s pain is worth 20 euros”, was indignant Sonia, who does not wish to give her name.

“The person received vouchers, as is the case for people requesting a refund for their pizzas following the massive recall” of this product, explained the Buitoni spokesperson. This family had made a report on the public service site SignalConso, triggering the recall by Buitoni, he said.

A “scandalous” process, according to the family lawyer

The consumer service person “asked me to report everything that may have happened concerning my daughter and whether, for the purposes of the investigation, it was possible to access her medical file in the coming days”, said related Sonia.

“Finding the pretext of compensation to request information, we find it quite scandalous”, was indignant Me Richard Legrand, who represents Sonia’s family among fifteen others affected. This is “fairly confidential information, covered by medical secrecy”, he stressed.

53 confirmed cases in France

On March 18, Nestlé announced the withdrawal-recall of Buitoni pizzas from the Fraîch’Up range, after being informed of the presence of the bacteria in the dough of a product.

In France, 53 cases of contamination are now confirmed according to the latest point from Public Health France, and two children have died, even if the link with pizzas has not been confirmed.

On March 22, an investigation for “manslaughter”, “deception” and “endangering the lives of others” was opened at the public health center of the Paris prosecutor’s office.

Leave a Comment